Search This Blog

Thursday, May 8

Music To Write To

As an aspiring writer, I would like to share with you my views on writing in general. In this post, music to write to, or in better words, music to write a fantasy novel to.

  • Any adventure blockbuster film soundtrack. Seems to work because adventure films seem to have highly dramatic soundtracks, for most scenarios that would come by in a fantasy/adventure novel. My personal favorites are Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings, Atonement and Pride and Prejudice.
  • Classical music. I often find that classical music sets a good mood, a certain emotion, if you will. It also helps that most classical pieces are considerably long, in the same ambiance, therefor not creating too much distraction. Do keep in mind that you don't pick a highly depressed piece when writing a happy scene.
  • Dario Marianelli. A composer that has done his fair share of soundtracks now, but to me, just writes beautiful music, with emotions that range from anger to perfect bliss.
  • Ludovico Einaudi. Composer of fairly simple and accessible classical music, very relaxing and not distracting much at all.
  • E.S. Posthumus. A bit heavy instrumental music with choirs. Very beautiful. For intense scenes mostly.
  • Enya. Because Enya is just brilliant for setting moods and getting into moods and getting out of moods you don't want to be in.
  • Instrumental. The trick for me is to listen to anything instrumental. This way I don't get distracted by lyrics I might want to sing along to and can imagine my own story to go with the music.
Hope that was of use to anyone of you.

1 comment:

yoursignaturebeauty said...

I would also recommend the one-song soundtrack to Cloverfield - Roar! by Michael Giacchino. it's 12 minutes long and simply incredible.