Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 12

Ambient Intelligence

Right, remember when I said I was going to tell you about Ubiquitous Computing? (I put it in capitals at the time because I am a total twit)

Well, instead, I'm going to be telling you about Ambient Intelligence, because the semester is, or is going to be, renamed to that.

I've had my first classes yesterday and today. From what I gather, Ambient Intelligence connects electronical environments with people. So the electronical environment responds to human presence. Interfaces for the electronicle environment, are becoming more and more invisible. Think about a sensor in your livingroom that somehow picks up that you are cold and then automatically closes a window or turns the radiator up. That is Ambient Intelligence.

The tough part about this semester is that we are only working in concepts. Ambient Intelligence is more or less a thing of the future and therefor difficult to grasp and to realise.

In a reader we received on the semester's kick off, a week ago, there is a lot of focus on Privacy and Autonomy. After all, do we really just want an electronical device closing our windows whenever we feel a bit chilly? Another example; a car that automatically locks down when the driver takes out his keys, gets out of the car and closes the door. Imagine that someone would wait for the driver to return. Then the lighter in the car sets the car on fire. The doors are locked. Is that really what we all want?
Touchy matter, really.

Anyway, I've only got two days of class and the other days are for me to fill, and do my coursework on. For next week, I have to read a lot for one course and for the other, I have to find, preferably about Ambient Intelligence, or Autonomy and Privacy, four articles, form an opinion on each, and back that up.

I think it's meant to be in Dutch but if you feel you have found an interesting article, please let me know, even if it's in English.

I'll let you know when I learn more on this questionable subject.

With love,

Maartje

No comments: